Waffles are the best breakfast you can ask for, the warm inviting aroma guaranteeing a good start to your day. But how do you make waffles without a waffle iron?
There are actually two ways that I have used- Using a sandwich toaster or a grill pan!
These waffles are dead easy and extremely delicious, they will leave your mouth watering for more!
Makes 8 waffles
- Flour. 1 1/2 cups
- Milk. 300ml
- Brown Sugar. 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder. 1 1/2 tsp
- Melted Butter. 3 tbsp
- Egg. 1 *vegetarians can ignore this one
- Mix the flour and Baking Powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg (vegetarians ignore this ), milk and 1 tbsp of butter together.
- Whisk the wet mixture into the flour, making sure that no lumps remain.
- When the mixture has turned smooth, heat your sandwich toaster or grill pan and spread the butter on it.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, then pour the batter so that it covers the grill completely.
- For 10-15 mins, let the waffle grill on medium high heat until one side has browned a little.
- Carefully flip it over. Try to get the grooves in the right place, you don’t need to hurry, waffles don’t overcook easily, go nice and slow.
- Let it grill for another 5 mins or until it browns as much as you like.
- Carefully remove the waffle from the grill or sandwich toaster.
- Serve with toppings of your choice!
- It is easier if you cut the waffle while it is on the pan or the toaster with a long spatula.
- Depending on your toaster or pan, the waffle might take more or less time to cook. To see whether your waffle is cooked on one side, wait for the edges to rise a little. When the edges no longer touch the pan or grill, your waffle is done!
- Before you make another waffle, make sure to keep replenishing the butter on the grill or pan. This butter will help it brown without sticking.
- The toppings I recommend using are chocolate sauce with Vanilla Ice Cream, strawberry/blueberry sauce with Cream Cheese Dollops or Butterscotch Bites with Vanilla Ice Cream.