It’s been a long time since my last recipe was uploaded to my blog even though I never actually stopped trying new ones.
This recipe was one I wanted to try for a very long while and finally got a chance to. It’s a very versatile recipe that can use almost any ingredient you have at hand.
Now that being said, I’m painfully aware how important gochujang (고추장) or korean red chilli paste is in korean cooking. I also have none at hand so I’ve tried to substitute them with a mixture of Indian chilli powders and sauces to recreate the texture of the sauce to match what I believe gochujang would be like.
Another note to consider is that I used whatever vegetables and meat I had and this is by no means an exhaustive list, go ahead and use any ingredient you’d like to put in.
1 Onion – sliced into big chunks
1/4 Cabbage – Roughly sliced into bite sized pieces
6 Mushrooms – Sliced
2 Sausages – Sliced
200 gms Tofu (Or Paneer)
Vegetable or Chicken stock
2 single serve packets of Instant Noodles (Ching’s secret or Top Ramen. Do not use Maggi)
2 cheese slices
2 hard boiled eggs cut into halves
For the sauce: (if you have gochujang, swap out the red chilli sauce and Schezwan sauce)
3 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp red chilli sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp schezwan sauce
1. Prep the vegetables, meat and tofu
2. Arrange the ingredients in a flat bottom pan (Kadhai) with the onions at the base and the rest grouped along the edge of the pan. Keep a little space empty in the centre.
3. Now in a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients. Remember this should be spicy because this will be diluted by water
4. Now spoon the sauce into the hollow I’m the centre and pour in the stock so that it just covers the vegetables
5. Set on medium high and let it bubble away until the vegetables and meat are 80% cooked.
6. Now, using chopsticks or a ladle, nudge the ramen into one side of the pan and spoon some of the broth onto it. Cover and leave for a minute
7. Open two cheese slices and place over the now cooked ramen and cover the pit again
8. Serve hot in the same pot and enjoy this satisfying meal!